Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Does it biological control effective for controlling pests ?


This question just flew in to my mind when I heard my seniors opinion about the effectiveness of Metharizium sp to decrease the population of Oryctes sp on coconut in west borneos. He claims that Metharizium sp just work good for controlling Oryctes sp without any other agents involve. I don’t know what’s the reason?
In my opinion that maybe different from my seniors, I should say Im sorry but your explanation doesn’t fit me. I think they just brought the concepts of single control management with an agent from biological controls. Using the same biological control agent all the time without concerning of others biological agents I think it will have effects.
The concepts of Biological control of pests is a method of controlling pests (including insects, mites, weeds and plant diseases) that relies on predation, parasitism, herbivory, or other natural mechanisms. It can be an important component of integrated pest management (IPM) programs (wikipedia).
So, combining of several control methods is the most important things that we have to do if we want to make an integrated pest management (IPM) works. Knowing the concepts is the first thing we have to do before we practice anything.
So, to all my friends, lets learn more about the concepts, lets read more and then we practice it. Like this motto “Practices makes Perfect”
So, what the answer of the title? I think let everybody have their opinion but always based on the concepts Ok!

No comments:

Post a Comment